Situated just west of Cannes, the Château de La Napoule occupies a magnificent seafront site first settled by the Romans more than 2,000 years ago. Originally erected by the Villeneuve family during the 14th century, the fortress was destroyed and rebuilt eight times before it was transformed into a glass factory in the 19th century. In 1918, the American artist Henry Clews acquired the ruined property, which he restored with his wife, Marie Elsie Whelen Goelet.
The Foundation welcomes qualified artists in all fields to its residency program at the Château de La Napoule where exhibitions, readings, concerts, performances, seminars and conferences are held throughout the year.
It is Henry Clews’ sculptural decor, combining wit and turn-of-the-century sensibility, that makes the Château de La Napoule, registered as a monument histories, such a fascinating excursion into architectural history.
Marie Clews created the Foundation in 1951, eight years before her death, in memory of her husband and in order to preserve the Château as an arts center fostering international and interdisciplinary exchange.La Napoule Art Foundation is incorporated as an American not-for-profit 501(c)3 public institution in the State of New York ; it is recognized as an association loi 1901 in France, receiving public funding.
La Napoule Art Foundation receives aid from the French Ministry of Culture, the Conseil Régional de Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur, the Conseil général des Alpes maritimes and the town of Mandelieu-La Napoule. Other support comes from private and public funding sources in the United States, as well from the Foundation's endowment.
Partnerships have been established with numerous cultural organizations in Europe, including music, film and arts festivals. the Château also hosts studio art courses in addition to music, literature and art history seminars conducted by American and French universities.
Modified continental breakfast, lunch, and dinner can be provided daily or for selected meals and dates. Depending on the time of year, meals may be served in the Chateau or Villa dining rooms, the Tea Salon on the seafront terrace overlooking the Mediterranean, or under canopies in the gardens of the Villa Marguerite.